“Silence invades the room and I sink into an almost meditative state as the knitting needles quietly click, adding rows and rows of stitches. I found solace in knitting after a rough period in life and have never looked back.” This is how Ainhoa Herrera’s story begins and is the text I wrote as the intro to her About.
Back in July 2015, Ainhoa bounced into my life, full of energy and ready to officially launch her line of wool and leather accessories. She had seen the prop styling and branding work I had done for L’He Fet and wanted me to undertake her project. Little did I know that I would be thrown into a whirlwind of activity spanning five months! Initially consisting in creating an online shop and web plus graphic identity, I quickly realised this was a complete 360º project. This is the largest creative project management I have worked on from start to finish. A huge challenge and very exciting.
I knew immediately that I wanted to work with Griselda Martí of Studio Gris. Her sensitivity and talent leave me breathless. A talented graphic designer, she would deliver exactly what we needed for Ainhoa. Griselda was in charge of creating the brand identity with a logo applied to labels, visiting cards, stationary, packaging, even a stand to participate in design markets.
Another key member of the team was photographer Anna Morago. Although initial photos for the web were carried out by Ainhoa’s brother, Christian Herrera, Anna has been on-board for all subsequent communication photos. Once again, the key issue was sensitivity and a keen eye for detail. A certain magic to capture the beauty of Ainhoa’s products.
So what exactly did I do in all this? I have to say that when I look over the list of completed items, it blows my mind! Launching a brand is a little like planting a seed and doing absolutely everything necessary to help a plant grow. Experiencing the process is incredibly exciting. Seeing a client grow and holding their hand. Believing in them and in the work you are doing together, is extremely powerful.
Over the years I have worked on different projects, taking care of different aspects, but never before have I directed a team and it was incredibly rewarding.
Creative Project Management
- Plan, schedule and attend meetings
- Send recaps after meetings to corresponding team members and client
- Massive amounts of phone calls and emails
- Tracking payments and ensuring that each team member was paid on time
- Prepare budgets
- Coordination and communication with team
- Planning, schedule and implementation of deadlines with team members and client
- Coordination of translations
- Programming support for website and e-commerce
- Creation of presentations for meetings
- Coordination of legal team for necessary website and e-commerce texts
- Feedback for all team members throughout the project
- Creation of Etsy store while website and e-commerce were being put together
- Massive amounts of errands!
Aside from the creative project management, I decided to undertake areas of the project where my skills would be useful.
- Web texts
- Product descriptions
- Meta-texts for SEO
- Press release
- Brand presentation
- Social Media
- Texts for product labels
Production and Styling
- Select models for photo shoots
- Coordination and logistics for photo shoots
- Sourcing of atrezzo for photo shoots
- Styling on the day of each photo shoot
- Selection and resizing of photos for web and social media
- Brainstorming and creation of brand values and communication strategy
- Market research
- Creation and implementation of social media strategy for Facebook and Instagram
- Creation of press release and press dossier
- Press contacts and mailing of press release
- Blogger / Instagrammers contacts and mailing
As I mentioned earlier, the project was completed in under five months, with the team working like mad. It was a pleasure to work with such a talented team of people and a unique experience which I hope to repeat many times more. Ainhoa was a dream client. She was always prepared, always did her homework. She was pro-active, energetic, willing to take a risk, true to her passion and contagiously optimistic.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you think that I could help you with creative project management, copywriting, communication, etc. I love taking on new clients! Just send an email and let’s grow together! vera(at)veraciria.com